The Development of a Regional GIS Center western Cameroon
The mission of the Regional GIS Centre is to serve as a source of credible information and technological support to critical conservation and developmental issues in Western Cameroon
- To establish a regional GIS Centre at ERuDeF by acquiring the following GIS tools; Arc View GIS software, Arc view spatial analyst. Arc view image analysis, Arc view Arc press extension, Arc view analyst, Tracking analyst software and a GIS platform.
- To build the capacity of staff on the use of GIS tools through short courses and training
- To provide training and professional development opportunities in order to increase the capacity of the wildlife communities in the region, through community based organisations, NGOs and students associations.
- To produce and develop geospatial maps showing the spatial distribution of conservation activities in Western Cameroon.
- To include GIS into all conservation and development programs at ERuDeF as well as other local and regional institutions.
- To include GIS into the educational programs in Cameroon high schools and Universities
- Series of workshops and seminars with stakeholders
- Collection of data with the use of the GPS
- Field work
- Educating and training of staff, local NGOs, community-based organizations and students in map technology and map production .
- GIS will be introduced as a course in some high schools and Universities within the region
- Produce digitized maps showing conservation activities that are going on within the region.
Seminars and workshops will be organized for staff, local NGOs, community based organizations, government agencies and students to create awareness on the use of the GIS technology
- Be able to produce maps on conservation work in Western high lands of Cameroon and a data base which will be updated.
- Mainstream GIS into the education system and probably create the units in some schools in the Region
- Produce a library of conservation maps which will be used by other conservationist.
- Produce a data base of all conservation work in ERuDeF and the Western high lands as a whole, which will be updated. So far a data base has been produced on the RCATSP centre in upper Lewoh south West Region, Cameroon. The Map of the area is under production.
- The technology will be put in to use by all the students of this Region